Special Watch

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Catching up

Hey hey,
Another long period of silence. And the reason for that is clearly in need of a creativity boost. So, I shan't mention it here. The silence could have been longer still if not for my dearest chum and so I owe it to her for this post.

For this post, am going to go into the alphabets A-Z. And that means, this is going to be really lengthy? We see how it goes, okie? Ha ha, dun panic. I don't think I will ever arrive at Z, although there will be repetitions of some letters. Ok, so here goes:


A is for Aungklung
I chanced upon it when I was in Kindergarten. I was performing in the then National Theatre (the one I have always associated with diamonds due to its architecture) and got to hear and watch an Aungklung performance. I was mesmerised by the sound coming from those wonderful wonderful instruments. Ah, but being 5 years of age, I could not find out any more about the set of instruments but it has left an imprint in my little heart since then. The next time I got into contact with it was last year - Siglap S Skool has got an Aungklung Ensemble. I was hoping to attached to it during practicum but no such luck - they put me to SJAB, my very own ECA when I was schooling. But hey, my skool now has an Aungklung Ensemble and once in a while, our tired brains get to be calmed by those beautiful musical notes. Nice! What could be better than that, one may ask? Ah ... getting to play the instruments. We, the chers, played 2 simple pieces, one of which is named 'Graduation', dedicated to our graduating kidz. I could hardly contain my delight when the email to 'recruit' the chers to perform something for the kidz came. But that's not all. My dear chum signed up for it too! Ha ha, we had fun learning to play something decent. Well, it did get more and more decent with every practise. And I hope we did well on the graduation day itself. Phew! What an experience.


A is also for Arena
1 was good, although it took all my energy, earlier in the year. As for 2, we did not make it into the televised rounds. The kidz were devasted. I was puzzled with the results. My consolation is that we went into level 2 auditions while 20 other teams were knocked out in the level 1 audition. 3 of our 4 kidz are from NA, mind you. It's a feat for them to achieve something other teams from the gifted or E streams could not. The honour is mine, watching the kidz grow and improve. I was touched by their positive attitudes towards improving their oratorical skills. It keeps me going as well. And I was also touched by my fellow chers who went all out to help the kidz in every way possible. They have given me the energy and inspiration to go on.


A is also for Award
Hmmm.... Outstanding Contribution Award... hmmmm... still don't understand how it landed on me. There are many more deserving chers around. And I was riding on the groundwork others have set. And I regret that Arena 2 did not go further. Or else, I could have shared it with the other terrific three. Sigh...


B is for back
8 months down the road, my poor back is still not as good as before. Sigh.... Was just one room into spring cleaning the house, and I had to lie down. 2 days of sitting through meetings, my back muscles were ready to go into cramps. Hope this hols, I have time to improve things. Or else, I'm in for some serious trouble next year.


C is for dear chum
Who has unknowingly sent energy and inspiration my way. Looking forward to working with her next year! And for many years to come. Ah, I miss her already. And her dearest twin and the best mummy in the world.


D is for DVDs
Been sharing some wonderful DVDs with pals at work. Once I am back from hols, will be procuring lots for the library. And screening will be done to support IP, throughout the year, in the library. Yeah! Lots of work for me (synopsis etc), but it's something I really wanted to do. I can't wait already. There are many wonderful ones around. I have my own collection, which is still rather small. But one big one for the library, ah, it will be a dream come true.


E is for Exploration and the Environment
My N parks friend invited me down to Hindhede park last Sat to see what they have been working on in their outreach programmes. Some interesting stuff there. But what she said struck a chord in me. She said that all those skools sending pupils down to pick leaves for C I P and for healthy lifestyle does not work to the advantage of anyone, except to fill in quota for skools. The kidz come, thinking that they have seen all that the rainforests offer, and then leave, not having understood that this very vulnerable and previous forest that needs their protection, can be adversely affected by the huge loads of kidz that keep pouring out of skool buses. Hmmm... and she is right. I have no control over C I P and healthy lifestyle plans but if the chance arises, I will spread that on. In addition, they would love to reach out to Geo chers to come down for some sessions with them and to bring kidz to be educated on the fundamental issues of conservation etc. I have to salute those working with the N parks!


F is for Facebook
Been on it quite a bit these 2 weeks, in between meetings. Been trying to find old pals who are up there and renew contacts.


G is for Graduation
All the best to my kidz. Could not say a proper goodbye on their special day because they were 'rushed' out of the hall so that the next event can proceed. No closure for some of them. Poor things. I can still rememebr the look of disappointment when some of them tried hugging their chers but were waylaid before they could reach them, and were rather rudely ushered out of the hall. But ah, have invited many of them onto Facebook. Left them my number so they can remain in contact. Hope that sweetens the bad experience they have had.


H is for Holiday
Yippee! Leaving for NZ in a couple of days. That will always be the number 1 place in my heart. It's literally paradise (ah, and I will probably come across a little place called Paradise there). I don't think I will ever end up in heaven so... hee... More, after the trip.


Sw

1 Comments:

  • Oh Yippee Yayyy!
    SW, what a lovely post!
    Enjoyed it thoroughly - and am going to be totally vain & assume that *yours truly's the addressee of some of the warmest comments here.. ;)

    You see, this is just further proof that U need to (keep) writing more.. U bring such hopeful mirth with your musings. :)

    Loved the dictionary-like order of your post.. and i never knew you had prior experience in Angklung.. Wow, and there i was.. making a fool of meself - and enjoying it all the same, in the beautiful momentary madness of it all.. sigh.

    And CONGRATULATIONS again, dear SW!Methinks, awards come and go, dear chum. While i'll always agree that acknowledgement of lovely deeds borne of genuine Effort and honest work is a must-have that keeps the passion burning, i still think that U are special in more ways than any arbitrary Award can circumscribe. So stay special, as always, SW. ;)

    Yes, you must take care of your back. Important, ah. U'll be fine, chum.

    And, just for mine dear traveler-chum:
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say.
    "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."

    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, 1954.

    Have a safe & enjoyable trip ~ Enjoy your vacation, SW! ;)
    Bestest wishes always,
    minerva*

    By Blogger minerva, at 12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home