Special Watch

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A Little Patch of Heaven

Hi hi,
Here I am again. Been having withdrawal symptoms. My body and mind refused to do anything other than curl up with a book, and popping chocolates once in a while. Sigh...

But am glad to say that I've finished reading all the 7 books in The Chronicles of Narnia. Just in time for the movie. Hee... Am now hooked onto Harry Potter. To be honest, I could not understand all the hoo-ha when it first became popular. But after Ms Chua's 'Have you been reading your Harry Pottie?', I decided to to pick it up. Finished up the first 3 books within a week. Am about to start with the fourth. Then, I will catch up with the movies. :) It's good!

Ok, my previous post had no picts. So, here's one that will grossify everyone out.


Taken on Bukit Timah Hill. Couldn't post it up with my last post because the picts were not with me then. This is the reason why I could not stand caterpillars, big or small. Once, when I was still a kampung girl, I came across a guava tree infested with these creepy crawlies, while I was on my way to the ma-ma shop. A came car speeding along. And because the roads in the kampung were so narrow, I actually lost my balance and almost fell onto the little tree full of those caterpillars. From then onwards, they never fail to make my hair on my head stand. Yucks...

Ok, have not done any more walks recently. But discovered a little haven out of Singapore:


Unsurpassed tranquility. Silence and more silence.... Peace has never felt so sweet.

No matter how hard I try at home, I can never get away from any man-made noises in Singapore. Not even in the deepest of forests here. We will always be hounded by noises from vehicles, either travelling on land, in the air or on water; or else it must be some other loud-mouthed fellow countrymen. Sigh... But here, the only beautiful sounds are: the winds rustling the leaves, the birds and the crickets.

This little patch of heaven is Boshack, the name of a 25-ha farm in Western Australia. It is not the usual cattle or wheat farm. It was also here that we heard aboriginal dreamtime stories, tasted bush chocolates, bush damper, bush tea in a billy, almost had to eat a grub, ate bush tucker (like kangeroo, croc and emu meat) using the spikes off a plant in place of our satay sticks, tried playing the didgeridoo, saw how improvised bush refrigeration or air-conditioning work, canoed in the beautiful lake at sunset, had an authentic Australian bbq dinner, sang Waltzing Matilda with the owner Christine, and asking myself when I could next come back and stay with her in one of her little zinc-roof shacks. It is a nice get away, especially when Perth is but so near to us. Highly recommended if you ever visit WA. Check out their website.

One other thing related to Geog that I did on this trip is to visit the Wave Rock. It is a long drive snaking thru the wheat belt of WA. But during the harvesting time in the Australian summer, one can see combine harvesters at work, and see how grains are stored. Makes a good agri lesson. But.. agri is out. Sigh...

Back the the wave rock, it makes the studying of weathering and erosion much much more exciting, doesn't it? The wave-like structure is the effect of erosion along a small little corner of this big piece of granite. One can never tell how big this huge rock is unless you see the aerial view.

I really think all Phy geog lessons should take to the air. Reminded me of the meanders and ox-bow lake I saw when flying above Indonesia.

And this one is a cave, called the Mulca Cave.


Ype, yep, that's all folks, for now. Back to Harry Pottie. :)

SW

6 Comments:

  • Hello,

    You being to Lake Kenya...Right..? You have being there...... !

    It's a very serene and peacefully place.

    So hopefully, we will able to go there together to enjoy the silences.

    Cheers
    J. T

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:28 pm  

  • Hi, which JT are you? I know so many JT's. Hee....

    Oh yes, Lake Kenyir is nice too. But Boshack is more peaceful because you cannot find anything motorised on the lake. :P Next time bring you there okie?

    Sw

    By Blogger S W, at 3:49 pm  

  • Hello,

    You should know who lah....?

    No...in Lake kenyir you are in the center of the forest is equally peaceful lah.....

    Only hear sound of birds and insects.

    JT

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:18 pm  

  • Ha ha,
    U forget the motorised boats that bring people out in the lake.
    Now I know who you are because there is only 1 person I know who is obsessed with Lake Kenyir. :P

    Sw

    By Blogger S W, at 5:20 pm  

  • Hi, back in NY state, in the Adirondacks, http://adk.com/home/z-home.htm, it is so quiet that you can lie rotten for days/months/years and no one will know. Then the catepillars can feed on you. Isn't that nizzzzzze?

    By Blogger Bee Kim, at 3:47 am  

  • hey ger how come u have not uploaded your holiday trip photos yet? i wan to see. heehee.. ok i will try to upload mine asap. *janice*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home