Special Watch

Monday, September 26, 2005

PTM

Hi hi,
Had a few runs of PTM simulations last Friday during our Geog tutorial. That was really cool. It 'forces' us to think thru what can actually go wrong during a PTM. :) And as such, we can better prepare ourselves for our future actual PTMs. It's also another example of learning while having fun. :P And of course, we got to learn more about one another, and to a lesser extent, know more about ourselves. For example, didn't know that some if us can play the broken English abusive mum and sexually abused girl; the sexually abusive father; and the nasi ayam hawker so so well. Didn't realize I still have the killer look with me which I ought to have left behind long ago. This PTM simulation certainly throws light on lots of things, including how we ourselves respond to the different types of stressful situations.

I have had the opportunity of sitting in a PTM in May this year. I was the co-form teacher of a Sec 2 Exp class, along with a relief teacher who took them for Maths. That was a terrible arrangement, I know. What was worse is that I did not take the class for any subjects. I merely saw them during reading periods after flag raising, and also the bi-weekly PCCG sessions. It took me so long to remember all their names. And that happened only during their mid-year exams when I tried memorising 5 names per day since they were seated according to their index number. And since I did not have much contact with them, I was in no place to conduct a PTM. So, the school arranged for their Sec 1 form teacher to conduct the PTM while I merely helped when language is a problem (the ex-form teacher of the class was a Malay). The parents we met that day were generally respectful to teachers and so we did not have much of a problem. Students were exceptionally shy when they were with their parents, probably stressed over what the teachers would say to their parents and what their parents would say to their teacher and wishing that none would embarrass them too much or get them into more trouble either way. Poor kids.
But anyway, our PTM simulation last Friday did a good job in preparing me for the worst case scenarios, so that I would not sink into too comfortable a position, having witnessed the smooth cases only.

SW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home