Special Watch

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Of Lly and Wh

Lly's micro-teaching
I like her confidence and her own energy level which easily infects those around her and keeps students engaged.
I like the 'stretching' start. But then this depends on the class because I once did this for a Sec 3 exp class (er..., ok, I asked them to smile to their neighbours when they stretch as well) and the students retorted "Cher, childish la." Sigh... Maybe just simple stretching will do.
I like her videoclip. Made things easy to understand and also a teacher's job easier.
Replaying the video was certainly fantastic. She could tell students where to focus on this second time round.
Confiscation - yep, very strict. No exceptions. Well done! Message sent across loud and clear to students. But is there a reason Lly chooses to place the items in her pocket? Hee hee, I was thinking I will need a super-big pocket, going by what I confiscated last week (book and VCD).
And personally, I tend to prefer teachers who smile a bit more and laugh more readily in class.
There were a few occasions when she told problematic / troublesome students to see her after class. Too many of these 'see me after class' may not achieve the effect that she wants.
Last, Lly tends to use lots of 'all right' and 'ok'. Something I myself am guilty of. But too many of those became a small flaw in Lly's next-to-perfect micro-teaching.
To sum up, the session was conducted really well, and within the time limit too! :)

Wh's micro-teaching
I like her Flash diagrams, especially the one where the drawn lines of a fold were initially superimposed on a picture, but later moved downwards to an empty space just below. Simply superb. Never thought of that myself. And of course those Flash stuff must have taken up a lot of her time.Wh really opened up my eyes to how Geog diagrams should/can be like. :)
I like the photos that she distributed to the class. But I thought it would be better if she has gotten the students to draw the folds on the board, and not do it herself. And of course, if the visualizer is working, I am sure she would have shown the pictures she has given to the other groups to the entire class.
But she does need to work on her voice which tends to 'break' when she wants to sound stern. Impact is not that strong when that happens.
Time given for group work was too long, as she was checking on the students. It was too simple a task to take up much time.
To sum up, it was a great Geog class. Folds have never been so explicitly and well-taught to me.

Sorry the above thoughts have to be so short. Am so short of time nowadays. Plus the fact that I have been feeling groggy and slightly high the whole of today, after being high on drugs the whole of yesterday. It was worse in the morning and I have problems concentrating on what my team mates were saying during our Ed Psy discussion. Terrible. And then I have to present to my exhausted Lit tutorial mates what Irony, as a poetic device, is all about. I think everyone lost it when I had to mention Socratic Irony... poor things. I suppose everyone has problems coping with NIE's pace, because the Arts faculty in NUS runs on roughly 10 hour per week (I know I had this luxury in the past). That's the difference between working life and life of a student. And I guess everyone have better get used to such a pace, because it is going to be worse next term (Practicum) and also after NIE. Life will be extremely hectic then.

But my Geog lesson managed to jolt me out of my euphoria from yesterday's drugs, since I was the topic of discussion for the first part of the lesson, plus all the laughter and excitement during the 2 micro-teachings. That's good. And I think I really woke up when someone mentioned the word 'maternal' - I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. :) :P :D Then the vent vs the pipe thing - pipe forms part of a vent, and a vent is a passage from the inside of earth to the earth's surface, is how I understood it. But I chose to label the vent (in my ppt and handout) near the top because I don't wanna confuse the sec ones, and also by labelling it at the top, the idea of a vent (from within to without) can still be explained (which of course I forgot to elaborate). Also, Wh brought up a point she forgot to mention in class earlier - the crater would be confusing to sec ones since I did not say anything about the cooling and hardening of the lava and that a lake forms only after some time. Yep yep, great point. Then also using more dignified analogies are more appropriate. Yes, will try. Another tip from tutor K - when confronted by unexpected anwers, bounce it off by asking other students what they think/feel. Then, too many objectives. Yep, had 6. It certainly might put students off. But I could have said, 'Yep, that's a lot. But if you can master all these by this lesson, I will be so proud of you.' Challenging them might do the trick. Then, the webcam thing. Great idea! Actually I did think of using video camera (yes, I have one) and then projecting the lava flow thingy to the whole class. But then, I cannot manage so many gadgets all at once, so I dropped that idea. And then the spelling of volcano and vulcanism, yes, indeed, I should have gone to class prepared with the answer. Then, even when one chooses to ignore the offender, the message must still go to the offender that the behaviour is not acceptable. Also, to 'test' if students understood your lesson, come equipped with some questions. Good tip.
Thank you to everyone for being so forthcoming, especially my observer C. :)

Ok, I have better stop. Lumping the above altogether is a sign that I am incoherent. Better get some sleep.

SW

1 Comments:

  • hey hey! i find it quite weird to reply to your comment on my page becos you might not go back there to check it :) i'm afraid i have no secret to being slim, in fact it has been more of a curse to me. i just have a reaaally high metabolic rate i suppose. it's genetic. thanks for your encouragement! i am really trying to find my place in the world above the din of all that "advice" people are trying to give.

    By Blogger jenny, at 8:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home