Special Watch

Friday, August 19, 2005

My oldest students thus far

Hi hi, I think I need to say a very big thank you to all my tutorial mates for letting me off so easily. Even the 'almost going to fight' and the crying thing stopped really soon. I guess it's because no one knows me well enough to try some really jia lat tricks on me (phew, since I graduated way before), plus the fact that I come across as a no-nonsense kind of person. (I am one, but it's only restricted to my expectations of myself, not my expectations of others.) Anyway, I really want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart, and with a nice deep curtsey. :) I really enjoyed myself today. :)

And I know this would sound like a 'thank you' speech if I don't get on to other issues, but there are still many people I have to thank. If I forget anyone, pls forgive me.

First, when I started off greeting the class, quite a few of you gave me the cues that you were not acquainted with my surname yet. Sorry about that and thank you very much.


Then, I have to thank KF for lifting me out of the situation which threatened to become a never-ending story (whether the students can understand me or not), by putting the attention elsewhere so that I could go on. Thanks so so much.

Then, to W, who did not put the fits thing into action. But I've already made up my mind to start loosening the clothings, the first step in first aid... hee hee. I was trained in first aid many years back, so...

Then to LY and WH and W and D and K and R and a few others, for helping me clear up and for packing my stuff at the end of the class. Thank you very the much.

And thanks to SJ and those sitting around her in letting me know that there was a prob with my handout. Thank you.

And also to WH for following my movement faithfully when recording. Poor thing. I hope I did not give you motion sickness. Thanks so much.



Ok, now to my reflections.
Things I know I did wrong:
1. Got my sequence totally wrong at the beginning.
It happened because my Gan Jeong level suddenly shot up very high, because I allowed tutor K (sorry to say this, tutor K) to 'pass' his Gan Jeong-ness to me (which he obviously was not aware and did not mean to, and which reduced me into an ungrateful brat to say this here because he was being thoughtful on my behalf - sorry, sorry) because of the time constraint. I must not let it happen to me again.

2. Awkwardness
Then, I suddenly dunno where to put my arms or what to do next etc and ended with some really wierd poses. Reason, as above. It became better after I started to really warm up.

3. Giving out the handouts
Should have given out the pink one first, so that they won't copy the diagram from the white one. Something that did not occur to me.
Also, the awkward silence while SJ is giving out the handouts for me.
I usually get students to give out my notes to students for me while I get my ppt up. But because today's ppt is already up, it became awkward for me.

4. No consistency between handout and powerpoint slides
I am referring to the labelling of the volcano parts (and also something else). I did not realize this point initially, because I zapped the handouts for everyone a few days before today. But I made some minor changes to the slides after that. So careless of me.

5. Should have put the paper throwing to an end
I should have been firmer on this matter so that no one dares do it again.

6. Explanation is unclear
Got to work on my explanation to students. Everyone looked lost or bored today. And I should have my slides of previous lessons with me so that I can refer to them to refresh the students' memory if need be.

7. Use of pointer
I brought 1 today (the extendable kind) but I forgot to take it out initially. And later on, I was too 'into' teaching and so did not want to start digging for it halfway thru.

8. Oblivious to what is going on
Yes, I did not pick up a few things until it became really obvious (the drawing on the handout episode for eg). Sigh... must work on this.

9. The initial part of lesson after the drawing part
It was so boring right? I could have improved on it (say use a body - legs = magma or any other possibilities which I am too tired to think of now). But this is related to my bad explanation. So....

10. Energy level in class
I am usually more animated in class because my students were not vocal at all. I have a problem with today's class on my energy level partly because I was really exhausted and partly because I was not used to this class' style. I must learn to be flexible and adapt.

11. Group or individual work
My lack of creativity on how lessons can be delivered is showing. I need to sit and meditate over how to make use of cooperative learning effectively. This topic certainly has the potential to be taught with cooperative learning but because I haven't meditated enough on that, I didn't want to do it. Will need to work really hard on this part.

12. Things I didn't handle well
Lots of examples. The most obvious one would be I couldn't steer the class in the direction I wanted so that I could continue with the lesson (I refer to my asking students to put up their hands if they understood or not etc). Sigh... And of course I didn't handle all the little little naughty students episodes well. Was even quite slow to respond to certain incidents. Sigh... I think I went into the energy-saving mode.

Anything else? There certainly will be, after the reflection session on YZ abd LY's sessions. But I have not digested them enough to put them up. Will do so after my zzz. And I will have to depend on tutor K, my observer C and all my tutorial mates to fill me in on those problem areas I do not realize I have gone wrong. Please go ahead and shoot. I have my bullet-proof jacket on. So, it won't hurt but it will retain the bullets. Thank you in advance. :)

Some comments from observer C and tutor K:
1. Voice
I have my previous experiences in uniform groups (both in my own Sec sch and my previous job) to thank for that. I think I can control my voice volume very well. It is good to train up one's voice so that one can control it easily.

2. My HAHs and LAHs at the end of my sentences
This was done deliberately on my part. 2 reasons. First, I see this way of speaking as toning down my really overpowering presence, which can put students off. I don't want my students to hate the subject so I do not want to give them the full tongue lashing I am capable of. This is only stage 1 of my actions against misbehaviour. It will go up the next level should the need arise. (Which I think I should have used on some of them today.) Second reason, this is what I call the 'gangster language'. I learnt this trick from a teacher whose teaching style was very well-received by students from one of the most problematic class. They were able to identify with her and sort of see her as the 'gangster queen' of the class. Yep, those were the 2 reasons. Note also I switch my talking style once I am back to actual teaching.
But of course, if this spoils everything, I will have to stop doing this. :)

3. Tapioca flour vs lava
Even though many think it is an interesting idea, I have to say that we need to tell the students that this is mock lava and that real lava cannot be placed in a plastic bottle unless it has cooled sufficiently into a rock. Pls do not forget this part. If not they will grow up to always remember they can bring lava home in a bottle as a souvenir.
Also, personally I would not have let the students handle it unless they are the well-behaved (maybe upper sec) type, and if we are in a lab environment. But of course, how this is to be delivered, as a lesson to students, depends on everyone's preferences.
And preparing it is quite easy (needs some practise if you cannot cook). So, no prob preparing for 10 classes at one go, one to three days in advance. Beyond that it will probably turn bad. And this is also the recipe for glue (other than food) as well, so, it will get more and more sticky as time goes by.
Here's the recipe:
Tapioca flour (5 big spoonful for 2 bottles)
Orange food colouring
1 spoonful of salt and/or vinegar (optional - this will make it last longer)
Cool water (half a cup)
Lots of hot boiling water (at least half a kettle)
Some hot water for you to decide the viscosity

Place tapioca flour and food colouring (and salt/vinegar) in a big bowl.
Pour cool water in and stir quickly to dissolve the flour. Do start with little water and slowly add more water, if you cannot get all of the flour to dissolve. Once you stop stirring, the flour will settle. So, make sure you stir it well before you pour in bowling water.
Slowly pour in hot boiling water as you stir hard. It will reach a point when the solution starts to become sticky. Stop pouring water and stir thoroughly. You are likely to have your viscous lava at this stage. Take some out, put into another bowl and pour in some more hot water (not boiling hot), to thin it down. Reason why you don't use boiling water at this point - so that it will not be thoroughly cooked. We want the half-cooked one. Once thoroughly cooked, it will look really translucent, and then it does not show well once you put it on whatever background you have prepared.

If all else fail, look for me. :)

4. Introduction of topic
Yes, actually wanted them to compare the white study notes at the end with the pink handout to show them that they have learnt lots of new stuff today, and hopefully, that will keep them motivated and interested, since they now know that they have not wasted their time in my class. Also, I wanted to praise them on a job well done.

Ok, my brain is now dead. More next time. Thanks so much for reading, if you ever get here. :)

SW

1 Comments:

  • wow i think u're really hard on yourself! you're most welcome for the comments..i guess i can't really comment on your lesson regarding the content delivery because like i said, i'm no longer sec 1. but it was interesting, honestly, maybe our lack of interest shown on our faces was an act OR really a reflection of how burnt out we are afta a long week :) oh i forgot one point, i think you were talking to SJ and YP sitting in front about the worksheet maybe but you did not echo the conversation to the rest of the class so i had no idea what SJ asked :)

    yes i think an extendable pointer would have been really useful, i forgot to mention in class during the discussion on the laser pointer that one disadvantage is some students don't even notice the red dot (elzap obviously didn't cos he didn't realise LY was using one).

    point 8: we are not superhuman!! i thought you were already quite aware of the going-ons. we've been told many times that we must have eyes even on back of our heads but i think it takes experience to gain this skill

    and no, your lesson was not boring. like i said, maybe we're just all tired :) don't be too hard on yourself!! i think being a perfectionist is gd in that it drives you, but don't let it get you down too. you did an EXCELLENT job. to quote geognut, the bar is raised!

    By Blogger jenny, at 2:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home