Special Watch

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Micro teaching of LY and YZ

Hi hi, this is going to be real short, not because I have anything against my tutorial mates or their micro-teaching sessions. The problem is personal, being the next one up today.

The following are some thoughts, which will serve as reminder to myself as I continue to stroll along my teaching career.

Some thoughts:
1. Great job!
First, both LY and YZ did an extremely great job and prepared themselves well for the class. Well done! We can all tell that the ppt and handouts have been created with lots of time and 'love'. And the other stuff (rocks and models etc), simply superb! They could have chosen not to use those but they did! :)
But I would make it known to students that all the stuff created by teachers are done with them in mind. So, perhaps, letting the students know that would be nice. I usually do that on my slides, with words like "prepared especially for my lovely students" and "brought to a bunch of great students by a great teacher". I know some people may feel like puking after reading this, but it does work with some students. After some time, they look forward to what little messages I have for them.

2. Confiscating ezlink cards
I am not a 'confiscate' person although I always threaten to be one. This is certainly one good item to confiscate, provided we don't add on to the problems (like losing the cards etc).

3. Smacking our students, even in jest
Certainly a no-no. Although a teacher can have a really kawan-kawan relationship with a student and that student does not mind being smacked for fun, it might be perceived as something else by someone who is not aware of the classroom dynamics. One can be regarded as lucky if we can get away with it. We can never be sure if our actions are taken down by students who have some other agenda in mind. Or am I being overly paranoid.

4. Tone
Both teachers were really firm. That's great. But again it depends on the class. Some students do get put off if they get put down by teachers. But for such naughty students as our class, we certainly need and deserve it.

5. Verbal 'sexual harrasment'
I don't know what is a good way of handling it. Should we just let it fall flat and not pick it up, and not encourage the student? Or should we make it into and joke and hope that it be forgotten? Or should we give a 'lecture' to the boy that this is wrong? Or something else... But personally I think my immediate response will be to say something like "Everyone knows that we are in a Geog class and not a Bio class now except you. And if you need something to be done to remind you of that, you will stay back for counselling with your parents." Hopefully that will stop that student and others who are planning on doing something similar. I hope that that is not too hurting.

Ok, tat's all I have now. Got to concentrate on my upcoming 'challenge'. And I certainly did not pay someone to hypnotize himself to be good today. :)

SW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home