Special Watch

Thursday, September 29, 2005

D & D

Hi hi,
Laughter abound in today's 2 micro-teaching. :D
Am not in the right frame of mind to actually blog (the washing machine in me tummy has been churning for the past few days), but if I wait a day or 2 longer, I will lose more stuff that is etched in my brain right now. Am getting old and hence the poor memory. Argh! :(

Daffy's Planeteers
The class went crazy today. The poor tcher! :) The price to pay for being kawan kawan with everyone in class. :)

She used pop culture to make her lessons more interesting, by getting her students to be Planeteers. :) Got to compliment her on this, especially on the effort she has put in. I have heard of this being done before but have never witnessed for it myself. I think it would be more warmly received by real students. I guess the Planeteers is the obvious choice for environmental topics, except that they may be a little outdated? Would not The Incredibles be a better choice now? But whether the Planeteers or the Incredibles, the point is that Daffy has demonstrated how we can use pop culture to engage students in lessons. :)
Ah, that reminds me of the time when I had to refer to Plankton (a character of Spongebob Square Pants) to explain what plankton is. So, we can also use bits and pieces here and there to help us out as well.

She started off being really strict with the class - Wes' "hell". I thought that was a little too strict. But it is commendable to correct a student's language if they are not that appropriate.

Our group had a bit of problem on the role-play segment. I am clueless how to role play sewage or sewage treatment. But then, my creative faculty has never been well developed. Perhaps the children would have done it better and enjoyed it at the same time.


Daren's weathering
Another difficult topic to get students to picture the processes in their mind.

It was also commendable that Daren used his little model to show students how rocks break apart. That was nice. Could be quite helpful to students who cannot understand how a big piece of rock can break down over time. But perhaps, using a real picture to tie in with the model would be better.

Daren had lots of diagrams to show the different processes. They are a necessity, certainly. Pictures can also help out here, together with his diagrams.

The blind pakcik was really hilarious. He really enjoys acting. :D But then, all teachers should be good actors.
Poor Daren, having time working against him, he got the group to discuss whether Mas should go home or not outside the classroom. I would resolve this there and then. I guess, in a real situation, I would allow the student to go home. But the incident has to be logged down properly, with other witnesses (Wes the adminstrator). Daren tried to get a letter from a parent/guardian to explain the situation that warrants Mas' departure for home. This is really well-done. But then, there are difficulties. Perhaps an office administrator can help the blind pakcik draft the letter, read out to him, and get him to sign.


Okie, before I go. Here is a pict from the US. A friend (not a geographer but an engineer) took some picts to make me drool. Sigh... What kind of friends do I have? Anyway, sharing them here, if anyone finds them useful. More will come in future.
Geyser: Old Faithful

SW

1 Comments:

  • Heh. The lesson was fun. But yeah, I could have handled some problems better. I need to learn lots from you sia! =)

    By Blogger Banana Saviour, at 10:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home